Canadian Passenger Overboard Oasis of the Seas Puerto Rico (see video below) – On Wednesday, January 22, 2020, Andrew Campbell, 45, a Canadian living in Naples, Florida, appeared to have deliberately jumped overboard from his cabin on deck 10 aboard Royal Caribean Cruise Line cruise ship Oasis of the Seas, while the cruise ship was docked at Pier 3 in port at San Juan, Puerto Rico.
The United States Coast Guard San Juan Sector (USCG) was contacted by Puerto Rico police’s marine unit in regards to a passenger overboard, approximately from the 10th-floor deck of the ship. CCTV footage caught someone jumping from the boat, but the Coast Guard has not confirmed the man’s death as a suicide, indicating other factors could be at play. Thursday morning, the United States Coast Guard said a video shows the 46-year-old man made a clean jump from the 10-story deck and dropped 177 feet.
According to the USCG, Campbell’s body was located around midnight at a depth of 40 feet (12 meters), underneath the cruise ship.
Oasis of the Seas was on a 7-night cruise from Miami, Florida with a call at Philipsburg (St. Maarten) before calling at San Juan, Puerto Rico. The cruise ship was then scheduled to call at Labadee, Haiti, before returning to Miami on Sunday, January 26.
When more is known about this case, it will be added to the Cruise Ship Deaths database.
- Oasis of the Seas Live Cruise Ship Tracker
- Cruise Ship Weather – Puerto Rico Radar
- Cruise Cameras – Oasis of the Seas
Recent Cruise Ship Overboard Cases:
- Carnival Victory Crew Overboard Off Cuba Coast
- Norwegian Epic Female Senior Passenger Overboard
- San Juan Puerto Rico Cruise Passenger Jumps Overboard
- Amsterdam Cruise Ship Passenger Overboard NE Atlantic
- RCI Bans Passenger After Symphony of the Seas Overboard
Video: MAN OVERBOARD – Passenger Jumps from the Oasis of the Seas in San Juan, Puerto Rico