Video: DOJ Charges Grandpa After Cruise Toddler Death – As we reported in July, on Sunday, July 7, 2019, about 4:30 p.m, South Bend Indiana Police officer Alan Wiegand and his wife Kimberly were departing San Juan, Puerto Rico aboard Royal Caribbean Cruise Line ship Freedom of the Seas, when their 1-and-a-half-year-old toddler daughter Chloe Rae Margaret, fell, plunging 150 feet to her death.
On Monday, October 28, 2019, (see NEW video below) Puerto Rico’s Justice Department ordered the arrest of Salvatore Anello. Anello faces a charge of negligent manslaughter in the death of his grand-daughter, Chloe Wiegand. Anello placed Chloe near an open window he thought was closed when her family said she fell out of the ship’s 11th story in July.
The San Juan judge “found cause for arrest against the accused, and imposed a bail of $80,000,” the governor’s office said.
Chloe’s parents, Alan and Kimberly Wiegand, said they didn’t understand why there would be an open window so high up on the ship and that the cruise line created “a tremendous safety hazard that cost our child her life.”
Anello is next scheduled to appear in court on Wednesday, November 20, 2019.
South Bend Fraternal Order of Police Lodge
A fundly page asking for $50,000 in donations has raised $21,540 to date from 253 donors but has only 64 days left in the campaign. The donation page has been set-up by South Bend Fraternal Order of Police Lodge, which states: ” The South Bend FOP is absolutely heartbroken over the Wiegand family’s loss. We are committed to doing everything we can to support Officer Wiegand and his family in their grief.
Knowing that the family will need a great deal of help and support in the coming weeks and wanting to provide those who wish to offer their support a safe and secure outlet, the South Bend Fraternal Order of Police Lodge #36 has created this page.
All donations will be provided to the family to help with:
- Funeral expenses
- Travel expenses for the family
- Unpaid medical bills
- Any funds collected in excess of the above will be used to provide educational resources for Chloe’s siblings”
- Freedom of the Seas Cruise Toddler Falls To Death Puerto Rico
- Freedom of the Seas Live Cruise Ship Tracker
- Cruise ship Deaths – Chloe Rae Margaret Wiegand
- Puerto Rico Cruise Ship Weather
- Fundly – Chloe Rae Margaret Wiegand
Recent Child Cruise Passenger Incidents:
- Carnival Breeze Ship Cruise Passenger Child Age 5 Fell Over Balcony Railing
- Norwegian Bliss Child Passenger Evacuated After Cardiac Arrest
- Norwegian Spirit Child Passenger Sexually Assaulted By Crew
- Celebrity Summit Passenger Hoboken NJ Child Voyeurism Arrest
- Carnival Conquest Utah Child Sexual Assault By WV Passenger
Video: Grandfather of Little Girl Who Died on Cruise Is Charged