6.6 Earthquake 94km NNW Visokoi Island South Sandwich Islands – On Friday, April 5, 2019 at 16:14:16 (UTC), there was a 6.6 earthquake (see video below) off the east coast of Argentina. The earthquake was 1491 miles away from the nearest community, Edinburgh of the Seven Seas.
Edinburgh of the Seven Seas is the only major settlement of Tristan da Cunha, and contains a small port, the Administrator’s residence and the post office. It was damaged in a volcanic eruption on the island in 1961, which forced the entire population to abandon the settlement and evacuate to Calshot, Hampshire in the United Kingdom. The eruption destroyed the settlement’s crayfish factory.
After the return of most of the islanders in 1963, the settlement was rebuilt. The harbour at Edinburgh was named Calshot Harbour, after their temporary home during the eruption.
Edinburgh of the Seven Seas is the main settlement of the island of Tristan da Cunha, in Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha, an overseas territory of the United Kingdom, in the South Atlantic Ocean. Locally, it is always referred to as The Settlement or The Village.
Edinburgh of the Seven Seas is regarded as the most remote permanent settlement on Earth, being 2,173 kilometres (1,350 mi) from the nearest other human settlement, on Saint Helena.
- Edinburgh of the Seven Seas, Tristan da Cunha, Saint Helena 2399.7 km (1491.1 mi) NE – Population: 271
- Ushuaia, Tierra del Fuego, Argentina 2531.5 km (1573 mi) WSW – Population: 58028
- Río Grande, Tierra del Fuego, Argentina 2535.2 km (1575.3 mi) WSW – Population: 52681
- Río Gallegos, Santa Cruz, Argentina – 2726.7 km (1694.3 mi) W – Population: 85700
- Puerto Deseado, Santa Cruz, Argentina – 2734.9 km (1699.4 mi) W – Population: 10237
Other Recent Earthquakes:
Video: 6.6 Earthquake Visikoi Island April, 5 2019