Carnival Spirit Passenger Overboard Noumea, New Caledonia (see video below) – On Friday, March 29, 2019, around 0100 hours, a male cruise ship passenger, 25, was sailing aboard Carnival Cruise Lines ship Carnival Spirit near Noumea, New Caledonia, when he deliberately jumped overboard. CCTV footage confirmed that the male passenger who went overboard from the Carnival Spirit did so intentionally.
Carnival Spirit was on an 11-night South Pacific cruise from Sydney, Australia and was scheduled to return to Sydney on April 7. Carnival Spirit departed from Sydney, Australia on Wednesday and was scheduled to arrive in Noumea, New Caledonia Saturday at 0800 hours. Noumea, New Caledonia was canceled, after Carnival Spirit stopped and went back to search for the passenger.
The Cost of Cruise Ship Suicides
Given CCTV showed this was a deliberate suicide, should other passengers who paid for an 11-night South Pacific cruise, miss a port because this passenger chose to end his life on this cruise? At what point is the cost of lost revenue for Carnival and loss of enjoyment during port exploration for passengers, out-weigh the desire to end a person’s life?
We addressed this issue in the past – The Cost of Suicides a Cruise Bruise Public Service Announcement, “This is an example of how People everywhere go through troubling, sometimes horrific situations in their life, things we can’t possibly imagine, don’t need to imagine. Consider your words to others and what may be going on it their life, before you criticize, humiliate, demoralize them with your comments and/or attitude.”
Carnival Australia, “Our thoughts and prayers are with the guest’s family at this difficult time. We are providing close support to the guest’s traveling companion.”
About Nouméa New Caledonia
Nouméa is the capital of the South Pacific archipelago and overseas French territory New Caledonia. Situated on the main island, Grand Terre, it’s known for beaches and its blend of French and native Kanak influences. The Jean-Marie Tjibaou Cultural Centre showcases Kanak heritage, and the Musée de Nouvelle-Calédonie has exhibits from across the Pacific region. The Aquarium des Lagons introduces local marine life.
If and when the passenger name is known, the case will be added to the Cruise Ship Deaths website database. Cruise Ship Deaths only adds cases, where the name and other relevant statistics are known. Find other Cruise Ship Deaths in Australia.
- The Cost of Suicides a Cruise Bruise Public Service Announcement
- Live Cruise Ship Tracker Carnival Spirit
- Australia Cruise Ship Tracker
- Carnival Spirit Bridge Camera
- Cruise Ship Weather – Indian Ocean Water Temperature Map
- Cruise Ship Weather – Indian Ocean Wave Heights
Recent Austalia Cruise Articles:
- Cyclone Oma Has Pacific Dawn Cruise Ship Avoiding Australia Ports
- Natasha Colreavy Schofield Cruise Ship Passenger Overboard Pacific Dawn
- Sydney Australia Christmas In July Brings Grinch Aboard Spirit
- American Golden Princess Cruise Ship Passenger Overboard in Australia
- Toilet Gas Kills Lady Rose Cruise Ship Passenger
- 7.5 Earthquake 168km ESE of Tadine New Caledonia
Video:Passenger Missing on the Carnival Spirit