MSC Cruises Sets 12 Sophia Loren Christening Record – Sophia Loren, 84, has moved far beyond her remarkable film career to christen the most amount of cruise ships, an honor bestowed on only one woman in history, with 12 MSC Cruises‘ cruise ships christenings [not 14] to add to her credit (see list below).
In the 18th century, ships in France had both a godmother and godfather. But, in 1846, Philadelphia society member Miss Lavinia Fanning Watson became the first woman to become a “sponsor,” breaking a bottle of water on the bow of the warship Germantown.
On March 23, 1989, Audrey Hepburn became the first actress to be a godmother when she christened Princess Cruises’ ship Star Princess. Hepburn opened the flood gate for women who worked in the entertainment industry, to be chosen as cruise ship godmothers including Sophia Loren, Oprah Winfrey, Kim Cattrall, Jennifer Hudson, Angela Lansbury, Judi Dench, Elaine Paige, Rachel York and Helen Mirren.
MSC Divina Sophia Loren Royal Suite Sitting Room
Aboard the MSC Divina (see video below), which launched May 19, 2012, Loren has a whole bedroom and sitting room suite devoted to her film career, with elegant framed photos depicting her exciting life and career.
As well, her favorite books line the shelves of the library in the MSC Yacht Club (Deck 16) — a signature area on every MSC ship that includes around-the-clock butler service and dedicated spaces, from pools to restaurants. MSC Yacht Club Cabana reservations are $99-149 per day.
You can discover all-inclusive luxury vacations in the MSC Yacht Club on: MSC Divina, MSC Fantasia, MSC Meraviglia, MSC Preziosa, MSC Seaside, MSC Seaview, MSC Splendida and MSC Bellissima.
MSC Bellissima Coming November 2019
MSC Bellissima has staircases embedded with Swarovski crystals, a Champagne bar that serves up to 20 labels and duplex suites with sweeping views.
There are more than 32 dining venues, bars and lounges. In addition, the ship has Cirque du Soleil at Sea.
The Bellissima has an Artificial Intelligence device in each of the cabins called Zoe. There’s also an app that can be used to book restaurants, spa treatments and shore excursions.
To be Christening in Southampton, England, in November 2019, MSC Bellissima will reposition to the Gulf, with weekly sailings out of Dubai, then will move to the East China Sea in April 2020.
MSC Cruises Sophia Loren Christenings
- MSC Bellissima – Godmother Sophia Loren: March 2, 2019
- MSC Seaview – Godmother Sophia Loren: June 9, 2018
- MSC Seaside – Godmother Sophia Loren: December, 20 2017
- MSC Meraviglia – Godmother Sophia Loren: June 3, 2017
- MSC Divina – Godmother Sophia Loren: May 19, 2012
- MSC Magnifica – Godmother Sophia Loren: March 6, 2010
- MSC Splendida – Godmother Sophia Loren: July 12, 2009
- MSC Fantasia – Godmother Sophia Loren: December 18, 2008
- MSC Poesia – Godmother Sophia Loren: April 5, 2008
- MSC Orchestra – Godmother Sophia Loren: May 14, 2007
- MSC Musica – Godmother Sophia Loren: June 29, 2006
- MSC Lirica – Godmother Sophia Loren: April 12, 2003
Purchased Festival Cruises’ Cruise Ships
- MSC Sinfonia – (No Godmother – European Stars – Festival Cruises) April 19, 2002
- MSC Armonia – (No Godmother – European Vision – Festival Cruises) June 22, 2001
Under Construction MSC Cruises Ships
- MSC Grandiosa (Nov 2019)
- MSC Virtuosa – (Sep 2020)
- MSC Seashore (2021)
Other MSC Cruises Articles:
- MSC Preziosa Passengers Robbed During St John’s Antigua Violent Attack
- MSC Cruises Ship MSC Seaside Crew Overboard
- MSC Cruises MSC Armonia Crashes Dock Roatan Honduras
- MSC Musica Crew Missing Overboard During Adriatic Sea Cruise
- World Cup Fan Jorge Alberto López Amores Overboard MSC Divina
Video: MSC Divina Sophia Loren Suite