Viking Sun Passenger Chile Medevac During World Cruise – On Sunday, February 10, 2019, Sheila Eaton, 66, from the United States was evacuated by the Chilean navy after the Viking Cruises’ Viking Sun cruise ship passenger suffered a head injury aboard during a world cruise.
The Viking Sun embarked on a round-the-world cruise from Miami, Florida to Tilbury in the United Kingdom on January 3, 2019. Viking Sun was located off Santa Maria island in Chile at the time the rescue was ordered by Captain Atle Haakon Knutsen.
After embarking from Miami, Viking sun entered the Caribbean then South America, calling at San Juan, Puerto Rico ; St Georges, Grenada; Iles du Salut, French Guiana; Recife, Brazil; Salvador de Bahia, Brazil; Buzios, Brazil; Rio de Janeiro, Brazil; Montevideo, Uruguay; Buenos Aires, Argentina; Punta del Este, Uruguay; Port Stanley, East Falkland Island; Ushuaia, Argentina; Punta Arenas, Chile Antarctica; Puerto Chacabuco, Chile and Puerto Montt, Chile before calling at Valparaiso, Santiago, Chile on February 11.
Viking Sun will then call at 26 more ports in South America, New Zealand, Australia, Africa, the Canary Islands and Spain, before departing passengers in London Tilbury, England.
Eaton was first treated by paramedics aboard the ship, remaining conscious despite her injuries. Naval vessels were then called to help transport her to the mainland for further emergency treatment.
“In total, there were 11 sailors who participated in the rescue, the maneuver was not exempt from complications, mainly due to the wind conditions in the area,” said First Lieutenant Simón Stuven, Commander of the General Service Boat Talcahuano.
“So after an hour and a half and several attempts, we were able to carry out the evacuation of the person on board, together with her husband and a cruise ship doctor. We went to Coronel Bay, where she was disembarked with the support of the Captaincy of Puerto de Coronel and transferred to a hospital,” Simón Stuven said.
This medevac just turned the world cruise into a huge headache for the Eaton family, as they struggle in Chile to interact with hospital personnel speaking Chilean Spanish. Chilean Spanish has distinctive pronunciation, grammar, vocabulary, and slang usage that differ from those of standard Spanish.
Medical Care Repatriation Abroad Expenses
Then, the family has to ultimately find their way back to the United States. This is why you never go so cheap on a cruise that you don’t add travel insurance, unless of course your back-up plan is to launch a Gofundme account. In that case, you may want to rethink that back-up plan; it may not be prudent.
Such was the case for cruise passenger Jake who had an head injury while on a cruise at Cozumel, Mexico. Jake was involved in an accident while in port. He had “somewhere between 30-60 staples in his head and bleeding on the brain in 3 places. Expenses are adding up quickly, so far, after only 7 hours in the hospital the bill is $8,000 and we’re not sure how long he will be there.”, according to his sister Sara Sharp’s GoFundme page. The page launched April 28, 2016 was able to raise $1,520 of $50,000, during the past nearly three years.
This was also the case for cruise passenger, “Aaron Myers, 32, a recent graduate of Sacramento State University in California, who after a 26 hour flight Aaron began feeling nauseas and lightheaded. On March 22, 2016, the day we were supposed to board the cruise, Aaron began vomiting vigorously. His head hit the granite wall and he suffered a massive head injury. Aaron was rushed to Singapore General.” Ronda Myers set up a Gofundme account on June 15, 2016 which raised $1,710 of $300,000 goal, during the past nearly three years.
About Viking Sun World Cruises
Viking Sun is a 930-passenger cruise ship built by Fincantieri and was delivered at Fincantieri’s shipyard in Ancona, Italy on September 25, 2017.
Viking Sun will embark from London, after her first world cruise for a second world cruise ($89,990 up), Viking Ultimate World Cruise. The second world cruise is for a 245 Day world cruise embarking on August 31, 2019. Sail roundtrip from London, cruising to six continents and visiting 111 of the world’s greatest cities and charming smaller ports. Immerse yourself in local cultures with overnight stays in 23 different destinations wtih 111 guided tours in 53 countries.
The Ultimate World Cruise includes:
- One complimentary shore excursion in every port of call
- Free Wi-Fi (connection speed may vary)
- Alternative restaurant dining at no extra charge
- 24-hour room service
- Beer, wine & soft drinks with onboard lunch & dinner
- 24-hour specialty coffees, teas & bottled water
- King-size Viking Explorer Bed with luxury linens & pillows
- Separate seating area
- 42″ flat-screen LCD TV with intuitive remote & complimentary Movies On Demand
- Premium Freyja® toiletries; plush robes & slippers
- Stateroom steward & twice-daily housekeeping
- Business Class air1
- Ground transfers to/from the ship; private car transfers for all guests on the 245-day Viking Ultimate World Cruise.
- All onboard gratuities and service fees
- Our Silver Spirits beverage package, including virtually all drinks on board
- Complimentary visa service
- Free luggage shipping services for embarkation & disembarkation for all guests on 245-day Viking Ultimate World Cruise
Book your Viking Cruises World Cruise by February 28, 2019 for an extra bonus:
All 2019-2020 Viking Ultimate World Cruise Guests will receive:
- $4,000 per person shore excursions credit, which can be used toward optional shore excursions or overland tours.
- $2,000 per person shipboard credit, which can be used toward spa services, onboard shops & beverages.
For Viking Explorer Members Only:
- Viking Explorer Society Exclusive Bonus, an additional $2,000 per person shipboard credit plus, exclusive Viking Explorer Society Member savings.
- Viking Sun Live Cruise Sjip Tracker
- Cruise Ship Weather South Pacific Australia
- Webcams in Florida
- Webcams in Europe
- Viking Ultimate World Cruise 2019-2020
- Sara Sharp’s GoFundme
- Ronda Myers Gofundme
- Wikipedia – Chilean Spanish
Other Recent Injury Medevacs:
- Grandeur of the Seas Passenger Gets Air Force Medevac
- Regal Princess Cruise Broken Back Gets Emergency Medevac
- Cruise Ship Passenger Ireland Medevac Death
- Carnival Breeze Ship Cruise Passenger Child Age 5 Fell Over Balcony Railing
Video: 245 Day World Cruise Viking Sun