6.6 Earthquake 14km ENE Puerto Madero Mexico February 1 2019 – On Friday, February 1, 2019 at 8:14 AM, a magnitude 6.6 earthquake (see video below) struck near Congregación Reforma, Chiapas, Mexico.
The U.S. Geological Survey reported that the quake had a magnitude of 6.6 and was centered about 10 miles from Tapachula in the southern state of Chiapas and just under two miles from Congregación Reforma, Chiapas, near the Guatemala Border.
The earthquake struck at a depth of 40 miles.
There have been no reports of serious damage, injuries or deaths at this time.
In the town of Congregación Reforma, Chiapas, Mexico, there are 1,132 inhabitants, 567 men and 565 women. The ratio women per men is 0.996, and the fecundity rate is 2.42 children per woman. People from outside the State of Chiapas account for 0.35% of the total population. 10.16% of the inhabitants are illiterate (8.29% of the men, and 12.04% of the women). The average school enrolment ratio is 7.13 (7.29 within the men, and 6.98 within the women).
- Congregación Reforma, Chiapas, Mexico 2.7 km (1.7 mi) NW – Population: 1132
- Tapachula, Chiapas, Mexico 16.2 km (10.1 mi) NNE – Population: 197,961
- Ciudad Tecún Umán, San Marcos, Guatemala 19.4 km (12.1 mi) ESE – Population: 11,432
- Brisas Barra de Suchiate, Chiapas, Mexico 26.3 km (16.4 mi) SSE – Population: 13,743
- San Marcos, San Marcos, Guatemala 58.6 km (36.4 mi) ENE
Other Recent Large Earthquakes:
- 7.5 Earthquake 168km ESE of Tadine New Caledonia
- 7.0 Earthquake 117 Kilometers Kimbe Papua New Guinea
- 7.5 Earthquake Near Sulawesi Indonesia Triggers Tsunami
- 6.2 Earthquake 265 Kilometers WNW of Bandon Oregon
- 8.2 Earthquake 280 Kilometers NNE Ndoi Island Fiji
Video: 6.6 Earthquake in Mexico near Guatemala – LIVE COVERAGE