Port of Seattle 2019 Budget Includes $30 Million Electric Shore Power Upgrade – The Port of Seattle (see video below) has announced their 2019-2013 budget blueprint. The blueprint focus is on the environment and sustainability which will enhance their offerings as a cruise port. The budget includes $100 million for a new cruise berth, costs will be shared equally with a partner cruise line.
2019-2023 Budget Blueprint
The 2019-2023 budget blueprint advances more than 20 key maritime and economic development projects to maintain Port assets, advance maritime industries, and invest in communities and the environment between 2019-2023.
Highlights of projects in the $348 million five-year budget blueprint include:
- $100 million for a new cruise berth (assumes 50 percent tenant cost share)
- $39 million for development of Terminal 91 uplands
- $35 million for berth replacement at Terminal 91
- $30 million for bringing electrical power to the waterfront
- $23 million for Fishermen’s Terminal Gateway Building
- $17 million for a Terminal 117 habitat restoration program
The $30 million for waterfront electrification would significantly reduce greenhouse gas emissions from waterfront equipment and cruise vessels at berth, improving air quality for maritime workers and residents.
In addition, almost $7 million is budgeted to continue our commitment to environmental clean-up and other remediation in the Duwamish.
Installation of solar power at the Port’s Pier 69 building, and $200,000 for construction of future phases of the Smith Cove habitat and carbon sequestration project.
Strengthen workforce programs to create pathways for maritime and aviation careers.
- In 2019 we will invest almost $3 million in workforce development funding to support apprenticeship training and retention and support regional efforts to increase the number of women and minorities on our job sites.
Recent Seattle Cruise Articles:
- National Geographic Venture Docks Seattle Pier 91
- Seattle Maritime Academy Courses Training At Sea and Land
- Argosy Cruises Goodtime III Seattle Cruise Ballard Locks
- Seattle Coast Guard Responds Boat Operator Overboard
Video: Port of Seattle – Getting to Your Ship at Smith Cove Cruise Terminal at Pier 91