Norwegian Jewel Alaska Cruise Teen Measles Diagnosis – On Monday, August 6, 2018 a Norwegian Jewel cruise passenger, age 16, who was a non-U.S. citizen was transferred to PeaceHealth Ketchikan Medical Center for care.
Doctors diagnosed her with measles August 10, several hours after her discharge from the hospital. At that point, she was no longer considered contagious.
The symptoms of measles (see video below) generally appear about seven to 14 days after a person is infected. Measles typically begins with a high fever, cough, runny nose and red, watery eyes (conjunctivitis).
Measles, which once killed an estimated 2.6 million people a year, is still killing almost 90,000 people a year according to the World Health Organization (WHO), and may be endemic again in the Americas, according to the latest data from the Pan American Health Organization.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said Tuesday afternoon that 107 people from 21 states, including Arkansas, California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Missouri, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, and Washington have reported contracting the measles.
Brazil’s Health Ministry says more than 1,200 people have been infected in a growing measles outbreak linked to cases imported from neighboring Venezuela.
Norwegian Jewel was on a 7-Night Alaska Cruise with Inside Passage from Seward, Alaska. Norwegian Jewel embarked from Seward, Alaska 0n Monday August 6, then sailed onto Hubbard Glacier, Alaska; Icy Strait Point, Alaska, before calling at Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan and Vancouver, Canada.
- Alaska Cruise Ship Tracker
- Norwegian Jewel Cruise Ship Cameras
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention – Measles
- World Health Organization – Measles
Recent Alaska Articles:
- 6.1 Earthquake 64 Kilometers Southwest Kaktovik Alaska
- Holland America Line Amsterdam Crew Overboard Alaska
- Alaska Mount Cleveland Volcano Alert Level Orange
- Alaska Dream Cruise Ship Grounding
- Norwegian Pearl Embarks Seattle Mothers Day Alaskan Cruise
- Kristy Manzanares Alaska Cruise Ship Passenger Murdered Aboard Emerald Princess
Video: TEDMED at CDC: Measles—Making a Disease Disappear — Dr. Melinda Wharton