Cruise Ship Schedule Deviations
Both Carnival Freedom and Carnival Valor stopped in New Orleans on Saturday to replenish supplies and give passengers the option to disembark.
Carnival Breeze departed Cozumel Saturday afternoon after an extra night in port. Monday Breeze will also stop in New Orleans for supplies. Passengers will have the option to end their cruise. The ship will then resume course for Galveston.
Hurricane Harvey came ashore last night as a category four hurricane. This morning it had been downgraded to category two and is now category one.
We began tracking the disturbance which became Harvey since August 16. We have been covering Tropical Storm Harvey since 5:00 pm on August 19. This hurricane was no surprise to anyone paying attention.
The resulting weather disaster is not going to be resolved quickly. In spite of lesson learned from Hurricane Katrina in 2005 for Louisiana, the state of Texas as a whole and many counties and cities were largely unprepared.
Declared mandatory evacuations were largely avoided, as a result the death toll is anticipated to be high.
Hurricane Harvey Evacuation Timeline
Wednesday August 23, 2017
- August 23, Governor Abbott declares a state of disaster for thirty Texas counties. Aransas, Austin, Bee, Calhoun, Chambers, Colorado, Brazoria, DeWitt, Fayette, Fort Bend, Galveston, Goliad, Gonzales, Harris, Jackson, Jefferson, Jim Wells, Karnes, Kleberg, Lavaca, Liberty, Live Oak, Matagorda, Nueces, Refugio, San Patricio, Victoria, Waller, Wharton, and Wilson.
Thursday August 24, 2017
- Texas declares of A state of emergency.
- The City of Port Aransas was the first to issue a mandatory evacuation on August 24 at 11 a.m. Thursday morning, urging the city to take action and immediately evacuate. Calhoun and San Patricio Counties also issued mandatory evacuations.
Friday August 25, 2017
- With the hurricane right off shore, on Friday morning, residents east of the seawall on Galveston Island were advised to evacuate. The city of Seabrook was issued a voluntary evacuation order, with all residents urged to leave by noon Friday.
- Louisiana declares of A state of emergency.
- Texas Governor Greg Abbott today sent a letter to President Donald J. Trump requesting a Presidential Disaster Declaration as Hurricane Harvey is set to make landfall. The state is expected to see life-threatening and record-setting flooding from rain and storm surge in areas hardest hit by Harvey.
- Despite no mandatory evacuations being issued, Governor Greg Abbott urged citizens to evacuate from low-lying and coastal areas while there is still time.
- President Trump declares state of emergency. In a tweet he stated, “At the request of the Governor of Texas, I have signed the Disaster Proclamation, which unleashes the full force of government help”
Saturday August 26, 2017
Houston and Galveston are suffering heavy flooding from the pounding rain.
TEXAS STATE OF EMERGENCY
Saturday August 26, as of 10:00 AM, there are more than 211,000 homes without power and the storm is far from over. There will be an estimated 100 hours of hurricane, tropical storm impacts.
San Antonio has become a hurricane shelter zone. More than 1,000 resident of other Texas cities have ended up in San Antonio. The city has opened up numerous shelters for those displaced by Harvey.
HURRICANE HARVEY EFFECT ON CRUISE SCHEDULES
Looking at our Cruise Ship Port Schedules for Galveston, Texas, Carnival Freedom embarked from Galveston and is due back in port on Saturday. Carnival Breeze embarked from Galveston and is due back in port on Sunday. Both cruise ships are sheltering at sea and passengers with airline reservation will not be able to make those flights. Flights of Houston will be delayed as well.
In New Orleans, Louisiana, Carnival Dream arrives and embarks every Sunday for the Caribbean.
In Mobile, Alabama Carnival Fantasy embarks on Mondays and Thursdays from Mobile, Alabama.
In the past, after disasters, cruise lines have called at ports nearby, and bused passengers to areas outside the disaster zone. The cruise lines worked to get passengers new flight reservations. They typically made hotel reservations and worked as liaison to help passengers get home. Depending on how the weather plays out, all passengers due to call at Galveston and/or New Orleans, may call at Mobile or even Tampa instead. Much will depend on the port authorities authorizing those unscheduled port calls for this emergency.
Passengers should expect port delays, port changes and and an extended delay in getting back home.
After Katrina Jeb Bush once tried to house Katrina victims on cruise ships. With four cruise ships home ported in the region now, depending on how this disaster plays out in the Gulf states, a similar proposal may be made for Hurricane Harvey displaced residents.
Carnival Cruise Lines is advising passengers with this information as follows:
“We have been keeping a close eye on the track of Tropical Storm Harvey in the Gulf of Mexico. At this time, no changes have been made to your sailing and our itinerary remains as scheduled.
To stay up to date on any changes that may affect our departure, port closures, and weather updates, we encourage you to sign up for text alerts by texting CCL2 to CRUISE (278473). “
Live Streaming Webcams
Our webcams in Texas are largely down. Some are still live and we have numerous Texas DOT traffic cams which are still live. We will be posting a list of the webcams which are live and adding to the list as down cams come back online. Follow our Blog to stay updated on the weather and cruise port news, as well as the webcams as they come back online.
- Galveston, Texas Port Schedule
- New Orleans, Louisiana Port Schedule
- Mobile, Alabama Port Schedule
- Webcams in Texas
- Webcams in Louisiana
- Hurricane Harvey Timeline
- Tropical Storm Harvey NOAA Buoy Cams
- Hurricane Harvey Texas Live Streaming Webcams