Several cruise lines are adding lifeguards and child swim vests to their cruise ship pool areas. They have been trained through the cruise line’s partnership with StarGuard Elite, based in Florida. The water safety program will also include a 15 minute presentation for children and parents, during the Adventure Ocean open house session on embarkation day.
Princess Cruises, Carnival Cruise Lines, Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines and others have recently added the shipboard position of Lifeguard along with Disney Cruise Line who already have lifeguards.
One recent advertisement online said they are seeking Lifeguards with experience in a fast-paced and dynamic environment. Applicants are required to possess current Lifeguard certification and a minimum of two years of experience as a Lifeguard is preferred. Additionally, prior customer service experience will also be preferred.
Here is an excerpt of the job description recently posted on the Princess Cruises’ job vacancies pages:
- Monitor and operate all water-based recreation facilities including, opening, closing and monitoring the safety and volume of the swimming pool and general activities around the pool areas including environmental issues.
- Assist with investigating any medical situations or security matters that may arise, and promptly report to Deck and Medical departments.
- Work with Security team to correct any Security issues in order to maintain a safe and secure shipboard environment in line with the Company’s Core values.
- Ensures the well-being of Princess’ guests by keeping pool areas clean, answering guest questions, enforcing policies, rules and regulations of water based recreation locations and environs.
- Monitors the pool areas and environments while providing any guest service assistance as necessary.
- Efficiently and calmly reacts to incidents where any individual may be in need of minor first aid or lifesaving actions (prior to the medical team’s attendance).
- Always responds promptly to resolve Guest concerns, escalating issues to a supervisor, the Bridge or medical team as appropriate.
- Regularly and willingly attends scheduled safety and compliance-related meetings and training as deemed necessary, including but not limited to, in-service training, re-certification etc.
Successful candidates will have the opportunity to travel the world as a key part of Princess Cruises’ shipboard safety team. Princess Cruises operates 18 ships sailing to hundreds of worldwide destinations.